first experience of a british pub - shakespere's pub. I thought it would be appropriate to start from this pub because i love shakespere.
it wasnt as fancy as i thought it would be. was actually quite laid back and fun. not pricey either and in central london quite a find!It is located on kingsway which goes from holborn tube station to aldwych in the camden borough of central london.
This place was packed to the hilt with people and to my annoyance SMOKE.
I have noticed one thing about Europeans in generalis that they smoke cigarette which is like in tons. I think the people here pollute the air more than the vehicles do. I sincerely felt that the congestion tax levied on the vehicles should have been renamed as pollution tax and should have been instead levied on people. So more revenue or less smoke. Either way a win win situation.
People here are really like chimneys. I completely fail to see tha appeal in smoking away your hard earned money as well as your health.
The British people are also very wierd.It is a normal custom in India and also USA ( American friends confirrmed this ) that if you see some one on the road you recognize by face you give them a smile/ nod of acknowledgement. here if you do that, people look at you as if you are deranged. My My My these brits are a funny stock.
okay back on the subject of pubs......... veggies beware.........double check everything before you dig in . the selection of veg dishes is normally measly. but still choosing from 3 dishes took me so long. It was ridiculous................
In the end , i ordered a dish called the panini- which is a baguette sandwichwith tomatoes, mozarella cheese and pesto sauce. It wsa super duper fantabulously delicious. I even tried the treacle tart. It was a drop of heaven. Pure unimagined delight.
we must have been the first customers of the club since its opening to walk upto the bar and order water. We received many a funny stares.
The meal cost us 3:25 sterling pounds which is pretty decent in central london.
later we walked down to the tate museum on the bankside. went a little crazy doing the touristy things. My room-mate shashi and I must have clicked a zillion snaps of anything right from the light bulbs which were hung from the trees to the promenade that along the thames.
In the tate museum, I had my first glimpse of a Monet original. Was so awed by it that for the first time during the length of the entire evening I was speechless.
"The waterlilies" - my favourite painting was in front of my eyes. I must have gazed at it with adoration for 30 minutes before the guard asked us to leaveas it was the closing time.
with a last glance and a promise that I would return all of us resumed the freezing journey back home.........................................................
2 comments:
you seem to be getting hold of the life out there!! i know the pubs and here in us called as bars are most disgusting places to visit, they are just too bad and dont get satisfaction of visiting a nice joint. probably coz we are not used to such kind of places!
so enjoying going out on a exploring trip!!
I don't get usually annoyed but if someone is smoking right on my face i just stop short of hitting him/her.
3 dishes.. hmm... i m also a veggie
Post a Comment