Sunday, October 23, 2005

A day that changed the way I shall look at this world

Yesterday afternoon I took the tube from holborn station(central line) to lamberth north (bakerloo line). My friend Nicole and I were going to the war museum. Lamberth north was a beautiful area , quite laid back and at ease. We entered the war museum , a truly magnificient architectural building. We went into the holocaust museum which is located in the same building. As i walked through thr halls, I realized the magnitude of what had happened over 70 years ago.
I had read about it and talked about it, but seeing the pictures and hearing people talk about their experiences as children during the holocaust overwhelmed me. The jews of germany were treated worse than low lying worms. They were humiliated, disgraced , torchered and massacered simply because they were followers of Judaism.
I thought what is it that perpetuates such hate and despise in human beings. Why did the nazis deplore the jews with such a vehemance that they took upon the horrendous task of trying to wipe them off the face of this earth.
I saw a documentary where hitler and others talked about the purity of the aryan race and that any contact with the jews was defiling the blood of their noble ancestery.
what kind of nobility is this? And it wasnt just the men , nazi women also relished at the chance of ordering death sentences and torcher.
That shook me. I could not believe the pictures I saw in front of me , where bodies were piled in mass burial grounds and were being checked for hidden valuables before they would be plowed with mud to cover them up.
The inhumanity of the entire period made me stop and think.
I was here now , I was lucky to be born in a particular family , in a particular country , in a perticular time.
I could not begin to digest what those people must have felt.
So many pictures , so many lives, so many unfulfilled desires and wishes.........
Every photograph had a story of human suffering. Every photograph was a testament to the fact that a family had suffered , that a child had lost his / her innocence in that cruel time.
My heart broke for those innocent children who suffered.
What had they done to deserve this? I heard a story where jewish people were supposed to step out of the way of nazi soldiers. One child of 6 didnt move away fast enough. The nazi soldier pulled out his gun and shot her through her head...........................................
Was her crime so huge? Then WHY?
I had always blistered over the fact that the Hindu symbol of swastika was banned through out Europe. I still dont accept it but now I understand why.......
It was a symbol of nazi cruelty, of death and destruction, of a malaise in the society that took the lives of over 6 million innocent people.
By the time I stepped out of the holocaust musuem , I was shaken and wished to the almighty that those poor souls had found some peace in their passing..................

3 comments:

Sagar Joshi said...

the massacre is nothing but a testimony of the fittest surviving the war cry. we have to accept it. that was a physical demonstration, mental ones , u will see everywhere even today.

Sudeep said...

Have u seen the movie "Schindler's List"?

Anyways a very Happy Diwali to u n all ur loved ones...
Yesterday saw a news report on NDTV tht London was also into Diwali celebrations. Shops had posters which said "Diwali sale 20% off on moong dal" .... wow

Ajay Sonawane said...

I felt very bad while reading your post. I appreciate your writing skills...You have got excellent writing skills.