So much is at its mercy. How we potray ourselves - the masks we wear - we wish to escape them, but buckle under the pressure and embrace them, sometimes even willingly. So many people cash in on this abstract concept - what shoes you wear, what brand clothes you own, the perfume you spray everyday, the watch you flash................................................................................
Does it even matter ?
I remember when I was 16, I bought a pair of sunglasses worth INR 800/- which would be approx. GBP 10/-. I knew it was completely unnecessary. Trivial really , something I would rarely use considering I wear prescription glasses. But all the way home from the shop, I was thinking up (making up) justifications pertaining the validity of the said purchase because I knew my mother would definitely question the worth of the purchase. Now that I think, Those sun glasses bought on a whim were not even worn by me 16 times. But at that moment in the shop, I made it a decision of life or death as if my existence was hanging on a single thread which would be strengthened if I bought those sunglasses. It seems to be such a waste now...................
A waste of money, resources and energy. To fall victim to the seduction of that moment - that temporary high that shopping luxury goods induces is more bitter than sweet - especially when the credit card bills start piling up at the end of the month................................................................
2 comments:
800 che sunglasses at 16.. ahem!
yeah momentary greed/desires do take a toll on the bills..
well..guess its all about impulsiveness...sometimes we justify it by saying that if we are earning we have a right to spend...but point is in this justification are we getting more and more materialistic....we are associating our identity with the number of brands associated with us!
Post a Comment